May is National Electrical Safety Month, and it’s a great time to take a look around your home to eliminate any potential hazards to you, our family or your home from faulty or overloaded electrical outlets and devices. A few simple precautions can mean a world of difference. For instance:
- Smoke marks on outlet covers or a burning odor are the warning signs of potential trouble.
- Use a good surge protector to minimize risk. It will trip and cut power to a circuit if it becomes overloaded.
- Never staple or use nails or tacks to attach electrical cords to a wall or baseboards.
- Locate your circuit breaker and switch the power off before starting an electrical job.